Thursday, August 26, 2010

MSU

One of my spiritual practices is to be rigorously honest.

It's not about *lying,* really. It's not even about sharing "the whole truth, nothin' but the truth..." I get that part. Sometimes, I exaggerate just a bit and I know that's not truthful, so I am working to stick to the facts, ma'am, just the facts, and not "make sh*t up," (MSU).

Still, my spiritual "rigorous honesty" practice is different than what happens between my ears and my tongue.

This practice is deeper - it's in my heart and gut. I am learning to be honest about how I feel. What I think. What I sense. What I hear. What I heart/gut/stomach - - in this moment. This practice calls me to consider what I honestly need. It's about connecting to my soul. Next, I need to honestly share what that is with the other - with whomever I am in dialogue. I am practicing sharing what I believe and sharing what I don't believe. Or simply saying, "Gee, I don't know."

This journey is also about accepting what I perceive as reality. When I push against reality, when I fight against what is actually happening, I suffer. That's when I realize that I want things different than they are and I suffer. Yes, this is my control issue!

When I found this in the daily prayer's Gospel reading, I paused and took note. My prayer is that my spiritual "rigorous honesty" practice will re-guide my intentions.

Jesus said, "I didn't make this up. What I teach comes from the One who sent me. Anyone who wants to do his will can test this teaching and know whether it's from God or whether I'm making it up. A person making things up tries to make himself look good. But someone trying to honor the one who sent him sticks to the facts and doesn't tamper with reality. John 7:16 (The Message)

Lord, teach me to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment