Saturday, September 4, 2010

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Our 2010-2011 team of LE's (Loaned Executives at United Way of Asheville & Buncombe County) is age-diverse, from early 20's to 60's.

We practiced in front of each other our "Why I Live United" speeches and these are equally diverse. These include one person's story about having to feed his family from Manna Food Bank, or another person whose experience as an Agency Director for a NonProfit gives him special insight to meeting the requirements of foundations who give money away, or another person who is passionate about teaching and needs of children (of all ages).

My heart was warmed when one of the 20-somethings commented about one of the older folks how, "I appreciate so much your experienc and how you have so many stories about life to connect with others." Another 20-something agreed, saying that "your wisdom is so inspiring."

When the 20-something presented and shared how self-conscious he was - and frustrated because he didn't have a well from which to draw for stories. "Oh, but I appreciate our energy, your fresh ways of seeing the world, your endless possibilities," replied the aforementioned older folks.

In that moment, there was deep respect for each other's generation. In that moment, I am sure that I heard someone say, "Caring has no age limit." In that moment, I felt a rush of wind in the conference room. Yes, I'm sure that I did.

This is what the prophet Joel announced would happen: "In the Last Days," God says, "I will pour out my Spirit on every kind of people: Your sons will prophesy, also your daughters; Your young men will see visions, your old men dream dreams. When the time comes, I'll pour out my Spirit On those who serve me, men and women both... Acts 2:14

How is Spirit showing up in your work place, today?

1 comment: