Monday, May 2, 2011

Presence

In my daily work-a-life, I sometimes get, well, bored.  Mundane things like stuffing envelopes or waiting for the phones to ring so that I can answer them on behalf of this organization.

Thanks to my Spiritual Director, I was reminded about recognizing God's presence in these times... not *just* when I'm overwhelmed by awesome Spirit at church.  She recommended a book to read, "Practicing the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence, circa 1666.  Turns out this seeming disappearance of God in the midst of mundane life is not a phenomenon unique to me, nor unique to modern times, but something timeless.

Brother Lawrence was the kitchen help at a monastery in France. The book provides a few chapters about his character and then includes letters that he wrote to others about how he finds God in the dish-washing, the cooking and cleaning.  Mundane things, for him.

"...that there needed neither art nor science for going to God, but only a heart resolutely determined to apply itself to nothing but [God] or for [God's] sake, and to love [God] only.."
"...that he (Br Lawrence) might perform all his actions for the love of God...that we should establish ourselves in a sense of God's presence by continually conversing with [God]..."
"...[and] regard not the greatness of the work, but the love with which it is performed..."


These are a few quotes that resonated with me, just like this recent poem by Rumi:
"No better love than love with no object, no more satisfying work than work with no purpose..."

And so I remind myself about not DOING but LOVING and having God at the heart of that love.  I pray that when I'm approaching that boredom, God will interrupt my heart and make known how God is present.  In this moment, in this time, in this space, so that I might possibly find myself, despite myself, "continually in conversation with God."


You show me the path of life.  In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment