Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rhythm

Walking on the beach, I notice the sound of the waves.  Over and over, recurring, recycling, ...

It's quite soothing.  My feet feel the sand and walk, too, in rhythm to a different beat.  That beat is the one connecting my heart and my breathing to the pitter-patter as I shuffle along. That beat includes silences long and still between every thought.

I believe that God is alive in this rhythm, too, in the splash-gush splash-gush of waves.  God awakens the inspire and exhale of my breath.  In the kerthump, kerthump of my heart beat.  In the flitter of the tiny birds who scatter after gobbling sand crabs. In the lumbering swelling of water just before it crests into a wave.

Rhythm.  A new name for God. 

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Matthew 11:28 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment