Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Everyone who hears will laugh with me

Today's lectionary reading from the Hebrew Scriptures tell Sarah's story of the birth of her son Isaac.  Abraham was 100 years old, and Sarah was not far behind. 

As I read the scripture in morning prayer and heard it again in our noonday services, it occurred to me - I wonder how often I have thought something like, "who would ever have said that x, y, or z" would happen?  And Sarah models a perfect response: laughing with.

I believe that when we think of our unique journeys - how we got to this place, at this time, in this life - perhaps we can learn from Sarah, and laugh. 

Laughing.  A great prayer of gratitude and wonder.  For this moment!

Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him. Now Sarah said, “God has brought laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh with me.” And she said, “Who would ever have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.” Genesis 21:5-7

1 comment:

  1. I love this - the idea that laughter is a prayer of gratitude and wonder.

    ReplyDelete