Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Eye training

"You have to train your eye to see them..."

This was my friend's remark back to me, as I lamented that I couldn't see any of the bush beans that we were picking. It was hot out and the sweat was running in my eyes.  "Really," she said, "the beans look so much like the bush."  And so I began pulling up the leaves, staring and looking, actively, for sign of bean.  Still looking.  Still seeking.  Staring. 

AHA! I see them! 

There they were - right in front of me.  I chuckled to myself. 

The same thing happened when we visited the zucchini patch, the crook-neck squash patch, the snap-peas rows, and the fig tree.  I had to train my eye to see the vegetables, growing right in front of me.

I wonder if this is what it takes to recognize God's work and presence in the world.  I have to train my eye to see God, yet I know that this can only happen with God's help.  In that sacred moment of God's love, secure in God's faithfulness, I can train my eye to see the Sacred all about me.

How are you seeing the Divine, right before your eyes, in this moment?



As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him. There were two blind men sitting by the roadside. When they heard that Jesus was passing by, they shouted, “Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!” The crowd sternly ordered them to be quiet; but they shouted even more loudly, “Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!” Jesus stood still and called them, saying, “What do you want me to do for you?” They said to him, “Lord, let our eyes be opened.” Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes. Immediately they regained their sight and followed him. Matthew 20:29-34

1 comment: