Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May I Have A Word?

I've been soaking up stories from the Bible recently. If you knew me, you'd know that's something new!

I can't quite say why this has happened, but it has. Perhaps it's my Baptist chaplain-mate and his ability to "name that chapter and verse in two notes." Perhaps it's my Adventist chaplain-mate and her ability to find a banquet of scripture for just about any topic that comes up. Perhaps it's my Presbyterian chaplain-mate who knows just the right Psalms for just the right spiritual balm.

As I wondered out loud one day, a friend read me this "thought for the day" from one of her daily devotions. It really struck home for me.

"What's so special about the Bible?
She was a shy African woman. When teased by her loud-mouthed neighbour, she was tongue-tied, unable to produce a ready answer to her taunts. The reason fo the scorn which was heaped upon her was the place tha thte shy woman gave to the bible. Not onl did she read it regularly; if any problem or dilemma faced her which she found difficult to deal with, she would go into her hut, turn to her passages which she though might help her, meditate upon them, then emerge to deal with the situation.


Things came to a head. In front of others, the neighbour took her to task. "Ther are all kinds of books in the world which can help us find how to live," she said. "Yet you turn to just one, always the same one. Why, tell me, why? Why this one book?"

At last, the woman's tongue was loosed, the words came. "Other books I read," she said, "This book reads me." - Ian Fraser



I think that's what's happening - it's reading me!


= = = = =


Blessed Lord, who caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning: Grant us so to hear them, read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest them, that we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life, which you have given us in our Savior Jesus Christ; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. - BCP 237



What Word has seeped into your being in this moment?


1 comment:

  1. it's all about finding your story in the stories within the Bible. for instance, where do you see yourself in Revelation's story of the dragon and the prostitute? i'll let you simmer on that one for a while.

    ReplyDelete