Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Percept

I took a Rorschach test recently for a psychological evaluation. I asked the administrating PsyD what was the purpose of this test? He said, "Well, it would take hours to explain it to you - let's just say that it tests your percept." "Oh, you mean my perception?" "Something like that."

I was curious about the word. According to dictionary.com, Percept is the noun: "the mental result or product of perceiving, as distinguished from the act of perceiving; an impression or sensation of something perceived." Anyway, I think that being vague with me and seeing how I handle vagueness was part of the test, too.

What did I see in those inkblots? Sometimes I stare at clouds and I can see critters. Have you ever done that? Well, that's what I saw in these images. I could kind of make out some shapes that were familiar - bears, ducks, dragonflies, a bat, a possum, a butterfly... that kind of thing. Oh, and a mountain range. I wonder what that will say about me. I'll get the results in a few weeks when this PsyD combines my MMPI, Neo-PI, and Conflict "Forced Choice" test.

It occured to me that the test was a bit like sharing dreams with someone. We did this in group for the last didactic. We first learned about the concept that dreams reveal something about what our unconscious is "working on." Then, each of us shared our dreams for the others to "see" what they saw through our shared images. Only when the others saw the dream did I get any insight to what the bizarre dreamstory revealed.

I wonder if we are like inkblots to God. We are the Percept of God. The Noun in the equation of an ever unfolding, ever changing, ever surprising world. Sometimes, God might see in me the "indian flute with feathers" and sometimes I appear as "that goofy dork that can't remember names" but in whom God delights anyway.

That's the background image of it all - Love.

God spoke: "Let us make human beings in our image, make them reflecting our nature So they can be responsible for the fish in the sea, the birds in the air, the cattle, And, yes, Earth itself, and every animal that moves on the face of Earth." God created human beings; he created them godlike, Reflecting God's nature. He created them male and female. God blessed them: "Prosper! Reproduce! Fill Earth! Take charge! Be responsible for fish in the sea and birds in the air, for every living thing that moves on the face of Earth." - Genesis 1:26 (The Message)

What of you is God's percept in this moment?

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! Loved it! By the way - that inkblot was 1. pelvic structure. 2. moth.

    ReplyDelete