Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Recognition

At a rally the other day, I shared the United Way of Asheville & Buncombe 2010 campaign video.It was a usual rally agenda: thanks/introduction, story, video, The Ask, pledge cards and thanks/close.

This rally was for a small group of folks from a local agency that does a lot of work in the community. So it should have come as no surprise that after the opening scene, when the first Live United speaker began, they called out to me, "Hey, we know him!" Then, they recognized the judge with whom this Chief Court Counselor was conferring. Then, they recognized the next two protagonists in the video with glee, exclaiming how great she did or how they know that organization.

It was as if I was sharing my vacation photos with my own family. What fun!

I began to wonder about how God must recognize us when we are authentically being ourselves. Those times when I speak in front of others, going with the flow and losing myself in the conversation... I imagine God, saying to the angels and archangels in heaven, "Hey, I know her!" I imagine God beaming with delight that even if I miss a beat or mis-speak a name or bumble my words, that like my video viewers that day, God only sees the real me and delights in me.

How is God delighting in you, in this moment?

You're blessed when you meet Lady Wisdom, when you make friends with Madame Insight. She's worth far more than money in the bank; her friendship is better than a big salary. Her value exceeds all the trappings of wealth; nothing you could wish for holds a candle to her. With one hand she gives long life, with the other she confers recognition. Her manner is beautiful, her life wonderfully complete. She's the very Tree of Life to those who embrace her. Hold her tight—and be blessed! Proverbs 3:13 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment