Thursday, January 20, 2011

Enough

Everyone's got it - a shadow side.

What varies is how much we love our shadow, how much we accept and learn from our shadow and how our shadow informs how we see the world - our perspective. One of my shadowy sides tells me that there is "not enough" in the world. Or that I am "not enough." My awareness has allowed me to embrace my inner "Ursula." That not-me personality that sometimes comes out - that deep sea witch that grumbles, moans and wails. When I think about her, I realize that often the source of her power is somehow related to "not enough."

When I came across this poem by John Van De Laar in Weavings Volume XXV, it caught my eye. After I read it, I read it again and again. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do (and Ursula does, too!)

Worry and stress are not hard for us, God,
we do them without thinking.

There is always the potential of threat
to our security,
our comfort,
our health,
our relationships,
our lives,
and we foolishly think that we could silence the fear
if we just had enough money,
enough insurance,
enough toys,
enough stored away for a rainy day.
It’s never enough, though;
the voice of our fear will not be dismissed so easily.

But in the small, silent places within us is another voice;
one that beckons us into the foolishness of faith,
that points our gaze to the birds and flowers,
that, in unguarded moments, lets our muscles relax,
and our hearts lean into loved ones;
In unexpected whispers we hear it,
calling us to remember your promises,
your grace,
your faithfulness;
And suddenly, we discover,
that it is enough.
Amen


In this moment, I remember that grace is enough.

We pray that you'll have the strength to stick it out over the long haul—not the grim strength of gritting your teeth but the glory-strength God gives. It is strength that endures the unendurable and spills over into joy, thanking the Father who makes us strong enough to take part in everything bright and beautiful that he has for us. Colossians 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment