Monday, March 7, 2011

Body Slam


A friend of mine blogs about Dog Theology. I'm inspired to start a Cat Theology blog.
Add Image
See, my cat (Maya) has learned that behind *that* door is where we keep a bag-o-food, from which her evening meal arrives. During the late afternoon, she attempts to open the door to *that* closet to get her kibbles. She some how knows that the doorknob has something to do with opening the door. So she tries to grab the knob with both paws. Since she has no opposable thumbs, all her attempts to turn the knob are benign. Not only that, but since she's only about 10" off the floor, for her to get both paws around the 42" high knob means she has to jump - and hard - to even reach the knob.

It's really quite a sight to see her body slam the door. And she'll do it over and over. For two hours, if we are watching. We chuckle. We wonder. We are amazed. And we are glad she's unsuccessful or she'd be a fifty pound cat (she LOVES to eat; we have to keep her on a restricted diet).

All this made me start to wonder. How do I body slam to get to God? What "knob" am I trying to turn, that despite my opposable thumbs, I'll never be able to open? How is this actually working for me? How is God delighting in my efforts, nonetheless?

Body slam. Have you done it today?

From Jonah, 2:1-9: Then Jonah prayed to his God from the belly of the fish. He prayed: "In trouble, deep trouble, I prayed to God. He answered me. From the belly of the grave I cried, 'Help!' You heard my cry....I was as far down as a body can go, and the gates were slamming shut behind me forever— Yet you pulled me up from that grave alive, O God, my God! When my life was slipping away, I remembered God, And my prayer got through to you, made it all the way to your Holy Temple....

1 comment:

  1. I am starting a fish theology blog. Wait. I don't have a fish. Bird theology. Wait. No bird.....

    ReplyDelete