Monday, March 28, 2011

Stir

At our recent silent retreat, we reflected on forgiveness. We wrote in our journals, drew mandalas and crafted collages.

We used small strips of dissolving paper on which we wrote confessions. Then we placed these in the "Grace" bowl (filled with water) and watched the "sin" vanish!I took a moment to watch the effect, which was stunning. The paper dissolved completely, leaving a cloudy film in the water. Any words written in cursive (in pencil) stayed stuck together and floated to the top. The stir spoon encouraged the message to disappear. This gave me pause.

I wonder if this is how God's grace works in our life: once it's written down and given to God, we still need to stir it up in our heart, even as the words hang in the air for a bit. I wonder if Love is like that water- holding a dissolved pain like a film, until it is stirred up by Spirit's movement.

How is God's grace showing up in this moment for you?

Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, you who lead Joseph like a flock! You who are enthroned upon the cherubim, shine forth before Ephraim and Benjamin and Manasseh. Stir up your might, and come to save us! Ps. 80: 1-2 The sick man answered him, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; and while I am making my way, someone else steps down ahead of me.” John 5:7


1 comment: