Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Inattention

I recently listened to the Scientific American podcast, "60-second mind," about being so absorbed in an activity that one does not perceive another event.


In the article, "Inattentional Blindness Can Make You Not Perceive Event" the author explains how a study originated after a cop in hot pursuit of a criminal did not see a police brutality scene that was happening along the route of his fast-paced chase.  


Apparently in a study designed to recreate such an event, nearly 2/3 of the subjects did not see the "other" thing that was happening. Fascinating.


Does this "inattention" explain why suddenly last night I came upon a new staircase at the hospital?  I've been working there for 6 months and here was a shortcut that appeared out of nowhere!  Perhaps I had been, um, too preoccupied in my own fast-paced chase to see it?  Quite possible.


I wonder how this plays out in other areas of my life.  How am I not seeing opportunities for expansive ways to find the truth?  How am I blind to liberating perspectives? 


I pray for attention of perception and the grace to accept that what I do see.


Then he added, “Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.” (Mark 4:24-25 NLT)


How are you experiencing any inattentional blindness in this moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment