Monday, May 21, 2012

Small blessings

On my last day serving at St. Andrew's, I got a blessing.

Not just any blessing.  This was a special one offered by the smallest of the congregation - the children with whom I have shared story time over the last year.  Kneeling in the center aisle amidst the people, I closed my eyes as Mother Jenny offered a prayer.  Each child found a space on my alb, head, shoulders and arms to lay their hands on me for their part in this blessing.  As the prayer began, one small child reached under the arm of another to slip her fingers into my open fingers, closing her hand onto mine. 

I took a deep breath, squeezing my eyes closed, holding back tears of joy.  What a sacred moment! 

How much does God reach out and touch us, through the hands of others, especially the little ones?
How graciously the Holy Spirit moves in surprising places?

So much! So graciously!  Thanks be to God.

Happy are the people to whom such blessings fall; happy are the people whose God is the Lord
- Psalm 144:15

No comments:

Post a Comment