Monday, June 4, 2012

I bind unto myself today

I memorized the opening verse, that's all that would stick.

I bind unto myself today
the strong name of the Trinity,
by invocation of the same,
the Three in one and one in Three.

"Sing it loud and sing it from your heart," the Bishop advised me...

And so, with a lightness of breath seeking to hold the moment still, I sang the hymn "St. Patrick's Breastplate" from my heart of hearts.  By the time I reached my place in the front pew, the sixth verse (with it's alternate tune and rhythm) prayed me into being present in that moment:

Christ be with me, Christ within me, 
Christ behind me, Christ before me, 
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and restore me.
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,
Christ in hearts of all that love me,
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.

I'm taken by the sense of mutuality - my vowing to bind unto myself God's strong name of the Trinity.  Just trying to write this causes me to tremble and I recall the last line of the sermon, "Can you begin to believe the confidence God has in us?"


Wow.

2 comments: