Thursday, October 21, 2010

Community

Last week I attended rally after rally. I witnessed intimate sharing between colleagues.

Rough and tumble facilities maintenance workers dressed up in costumes to sing a song for United Way. Second and third shift medical care workers came in on their day off to support a co-worker who read her own, personal story in the talent show. Care givers at hospice invited us (UW folks) to remain in the meeting as they held a memorial ceremony for patients who died the previous month. Even a "rock-star famous" physician leaned close to me and shared with joy how his grandchild is attending a special charter school supported by UW.

Between the risk-taking practice managers and the late-night hourly workers, I found deeply meaningful interactions with all kinds of people. I witnessed them encouraging each other, sharing communion of cake and punch, and wishing them well as they got back to work.

Showing up to these moments, I experience what it means to Live United. The work, the stories, the emotions, the courage, the vulnerability... it all endeared me to Grace that flows freely between us, as a thread connecting us all.

How are you connected in this moment?

The whole congregation of believers was united as one—one heart, one mind! They didn't even claim ownership of their own possessions. No one said, "That's mine; you can't have it." They shared everything. The apostles gave powerful witness to the resurrection of the Master Jesus, and grace was on all of them. Acts 4:32

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of cake and punch communion! So glad you are finding meaning and worth in this inbetween time! I'm proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete