Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Roots and Rocks

Hiking in the fall reveals elements of earth.

Roots, to hold onto and to pull yourself up. Or to steady yourself in case of slippery foundations. Rocks, to climb over and to push upon. Or to steady yourself as a hand-hold when going vertical.

They work together, these roots and rocks, to make my hike possible. They challenge me, too, in their slippery and unpredictable ways.

I am reminded of how God's presence can seem like a root - something that grows into the foundation of my being, yet can provide a good hold for pulling me forward. Sometimes God is like that. God's presence can seem like a rock - something that feels so solid, captures the warmth of the sun around it, and holds my weight when I jump down. Sometimes God is like that, too.

When I pull with my arms and push with my legs, I am grateful for feeling my body work. God's in those muscles, that breath, that drop of sweat, that sense of being alive.

Thank you, God, for the earth and all that is in it. And for being present with me in the experience.

What roots and rocks are in your life, in this moment?

And Isaiah's word: There's the root of our ancestor Jesse, breaking through the earth and growing tree tall, Tall enough for everyone everywhere to see and take hope! Oh! May the God of green hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope! Romans 15:17 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment