Monday, February 1, 2010

Beauty Tips

I entered the enlivened conversation mid-afternoon. Three elderly women in the behavioral health unit sharing beauty tips. I had to pinch myself. It was so fun!

"My mother says that mustard crust will get rid of crow's feet around my eyes."

"Oh yea? Did you know you can take an orange and just squeeze the juice directly on these rings, here, under your eyes and that will be so refreshing?"

"Well, I heard from a white woman that you can take Crisco lard and paint it on your face, like this...and do you know that in the morning you will feel like a whole new woman?"

"Once I even took a piece of fat back, doused in salt, and rubbed it all over my body - it was so cleansing - then I felt soooo beautiful!"

"Oh, have you tried honey? Yea, baby, you just drip honey all over your face and then down your neck... it feels so good!"

"I even took egg whites one time, and pasted it right here... it really helped my neck wrinkles."

"You women and your make up - you don't need any rouge or lipstick! Try cool-aid! I'm telling you, I can't read or write, but I can do natural make up! And it don't even get on the collar of your man!"

The bubble over my head was, "Just think... if it doesn't work, at least you can eat it!"

Before a girl's turn came to go in to King Xerxes, she had to complete twelve months of beauty treatments prescribed for the women, six months with oil of myrrh and six with perfumes and cosmetics. ...When the turn came for Esther (the girl Mordecai had adopted, the daughter of his uncle Abihail) to go to the king, she asked for nothing other than what Hegai, the king's eunuch who was in charge of the harem, suggested. And Esther won the favor of everyone who saw her. She was taken to King Xerxes in the royal residence in the tenth month, the month of Tebeth, in the seventh year of his reign. Esther 2:12...16

In this moment, what is your natural beauty tip?

1 comment:

  1. I'm heard that if you eat bacon on a regular basis you'll generally be happier!

    All vegetarians should try this, after all, bacon is "mostly vegetarian" anyway.

    ReplyDelete