Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Who?

From today's lectionary reading, Proverbs 30:4:
Who has gone up to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands?
Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and the name of his son?
Tell me if you know!

Today's readings reminded me to keep considering who is God?

Sometimes, I act as if I am God and I suffer when I realize that I am not.
Sometimes, I complain that I'm not in control and I suffer when I realize that I am not.
Sometimes, I moan that things are not going as "they are supposed to" and I suffer when I awaken to my own hubris that I know how things are "supposed to" go.

I think these verses speak to me about awakening to the coming Lenten journey.

On NPR's Speaking of Faith, Krista Tippett interviewed the late Irish poet and philosopher John O'Donohue about the importance of poetry in Celtic and Irish culture, history, and spirituality. In the ancient poem, "Song of Amergin," I found myself reminded to reconsider who is God?

I am the wind on the sea. / I am the ocean wave. / I am the sound of the billows. / I am the seven-horned stag. / I am the hawk on the cliff. / I am the dewdrop in sunlight. / I am the fairest of flowers. / I am the raging boar. / I am the salmon in the deep pool. / I am the lake on the plain. / I am the meaning of the poem. / I am the point of the spear. / I am the god that makes fire in the head. / Who levels the mountain? / Who speaks the age of the moon? / Who has been where the sun sleeps? / Who, if not I?


I pray

God, help me to remember who You are
and in so doing, remember whose I am
Awaken in me your love.

Amen


How is God showing up in your moment?

1 comment: