Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Send Light

September 21, 2009
Send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me, and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. - Morning Prayer Opening Sentence Ps 43:3

I am finding it easier to make my way around the hospital now. I still get lost, down in the catacombs between the buildings, where the 2nd floor looks completely different than the ground floor but provides a route that is half the distance. Oh well, I think, I'll just take "this" elevator "B" (not the B over by the tower or the B near the heart center) and find my way the long way 'round.

I am recognizing some of the doctors, and they are recognizing me. I'm remembering the cafeteria worker's names, the one who puts out the garbanzo beans on the salad bar and the one who serves up scrambled eggs for my on-call breakfasts. I even new the name of the nurse who passed me in the parking garage.

Still, I was surprised when I recognized the patient in a different area of the hospital. It seemed like it was only a day or so earlier when we prayed together and wrestled with some theological issues. We met each other in a completely new context - and I saw her light.

I had an realized that we met on holy ground and that these relationships are precious and life-giving. What a great way to start the morning!

Who lightened up your day today?

1 comment:

  1. My students, who struggle so to make their lives work,brightened my day by coming to class.

    And my friend of several decades brightened my day when she said that it is okay to grow in new ways that could bring change.

    And I wrote a newer friend, when I learned that today is her birthday,(who was first my friend, but has evolved into being my boss), that I am glad that she was born, and that our paths have crossed; and I signed the note, "Love, Mary", and she wrote back and said she feels the same way towards me. That added light to my day, too!

    ReplyDelete