Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Talking About Cloud

August 29, 2009
...and when the priests came out of the holy place, a cloud filled the house of the Lord, so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud; for the glory of the Lord filled the house of the Lord. 1 Kings 8:10

It happens over and over, for me. I enter a patient's room, introduce myself, and begin to enter their story. Their stories are so unique, so precious, so individual, that they lose their meaning when I even try to describe them. It's like trying to photograph the Grand Canyon with one image. It requires a "landscape" set of pictures that can be "stitched" together. Part of my role, then, is to help the patient do the stitching, even if I don't see the full image.

And, what happens over and over is that the patient will eventually get around to saying something about how God is in the picture, too. God's will is here... God's love is there... and in that little crack? there's God's fingerprint... this smudge? that's where God reconciled a relationship...

Over and over, I sense a cloud in the room, like the priests, because of the glory of the Lord who "fills the house" for this patient. I'm learning how to ask the patients about this cloud - it's taking time. Sometimes we simply walk around the cloud, but the cloud is there!

Since you showed up to this moment, how is the cloud of the glory of the Lord filling your house?

1 comment:

  1. Answered prayers for a friend for fears being faced, and the result being a waterfall of love and new possibilities!

    ReplyDelete