Thursday, June 25, 2009

Seal Upon Your Heart

June 23, 2009
Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm... Song of Songs 8:6

This week, I re-listened to the John O'Donohue interview by Krista Tippett from "Speaking of Faith." I was captivated when O'Donohue talked about finding the Divine in everything. He says (I'm paraphrasing here) "There are some things that are visible that the human eye should never see." When Tippett asks him to explain, he says that he believes the only way that we can sustain ourselves in the midst of horror, is to keep an image of something beautiful in your mind.

I asked myself, what beautiful image do I keep in my mind? I do see many of these kinds of things, and in those moments, I realize there are many dimensions to what I see. My eyes are normally drawn to the eyes of the patients, the family, and the staff. These are beautiful, amazing humans that I see. I have not yet learned how to hold some other image of beauty in my mind. I'm human - so I see what is front of me - and perhaps that is the most beautiful thing.

What do you seal upon your heart (and mind) today?

No comments:

Post a Comment