Monday, June 22, 2009

Sharing

June 18, 2009
He looked up and saw rich people putting their gifts into the treasury; he also saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. He said, 'Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them; for all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in all she had to live on.' Luke 21:1-4

It's Thursday of a long week. So many acronyms, so much to remember, so many policies and procedures. I found myself envying my colleague of 26 years old that he didn't need to take any notes - of course he remembers it all. Me, my poverty-memory-learning style insists that I write it down and reflect on it later.

We were assigned a "scavenger" hunt to make our way (on our own!) around the hospital campus and to discover our own short-cuts through the mouse maze that makes up the landscape. Surprisingly, it took me two hours - that's an hour longer than I thought I would, but I did make it to lunch to join my colleagues!

After all this learning, we are to share our spiritual journeys tomorrow. I wrote well into the night, trying to keep it to three pages. "If I had more time, I'd write a shorter letter," says Mark Twain. I heard this quote echoing in my head.

I really wanted either more time or more specific instructions - but alas, resigned myself to answer the one main question that would reveal more about my style and who I am. That's all I had - my SELF. This need for perfection just might be my own poverty.

What is the poverty out of which you are to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment