Monday, August 24, 2009

Say it. Say it. Say it.

August 22, 2009
Do not worry beforehand about what you are to say; but say whatever is given you at that time, for it is not you who speaks, but the Holy Spirit. Mark 13:11

I worry about what I am to say sometimes. Maybe that's part of my 'practicing being human' thing. With God's help, I worry less and less these days and am sometimes surprised by the Holy Spirit's words.

And sometimes, it is what I don't say or get around saying that is kind of fun.

Take, for instance, the woman who showed up at the lobby of the hospital who wanted to simply go pray with patients. The info desk attendant didn't know what to say, so she paged me. I met the nice woman at the lobby and listened to her share.

"God told me to come here and pray with patients. See, a few years ago I was in the hospital and my pastor came and prayed with me every day. That was so powerful that now I want to give back."

After understanding better that she really had good intentions, I suggested that she contact the hospital down the street, since I knew (from a good source) that they had a volunteer chaplain program. And, since she was primed for prayer, I asked if she would pray for me and my colleagues. Of course, she said.

There we were - not worrying at all about what we were to say - and filled with the Holy Spirit as this complete stranger held our hands in the lobby of the hospital and prayed for us and for our work. What joy and hope!

How are you allowing the Holy Spirit to speak for you, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment