Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Becoming

July 15, 2009
Observing (these men) thus in repose, in the act of reflection, Father Latour was thinking how each of these men not only had a story, but seemed to have become his story. Willa Cather, Death Comes For The Archbishop (p.182)

In our morning meeting, whoever was on call the previous night shares what happened. Number of pages (10), types of situations (2 deaths, 3 social ministries, 2 nurse questions, 3 traumas), varieties of responses (pastoral support, presence and/or prayer) and sharing of how the on-call-one is feeling (tired, exuberant, grieved or all of the above). The on-call-one makes referrals to the team (follow up on Ms. Smith in 6-Tower). We share a meditation and pray together.

The moment of the meeting, the sharing of the night, and the kind and patient lens through which I experience each of my peers when I have been awake for 24+ hours, makes them all part of my story. All the stories of suffering in the previous day has transformed me and become my story. My team graciously allows that.

How does your day become your story?

No comments:

Post a Comment