Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Make Clean

July 8, 2009
What God has made clean, you must not call profane. Acts 10:15b

Today's class was on Theological Reflection. That's a fancy way of saying, "Think About God." I interpretted an experience with a patient from a "thinking about God" perspective - that is, how images or stories of my Christian tradition give insight to what happened. I found that when I set the traditional story of Jonah and the Whale next to my experience of this patient's struggle, my compassion increased - for me, for the patient, and for God.

Our "homework" was to practice reflecting theologically not as an exercise, but with patients, or families, or staff - in our work-a-place. It's due next week, so I put off thinking about it.

My first visit this afternoon included a conversation with another cancer patient. "I'm asking why me? and I'm asking why not me?" she explained. She hooked me! "What answer did you come up with?" "Well, God doesn't make no crap - so He must have something else in mind for me!" She's doing theological reflection!

What has God made clean, in this moment, for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment