Saturday, July 4, 2009

Weep

July 4, 2009
By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept when we remembered you, O Zion. Ps 137:1

Violent deaths just do not make sense. Always in the midst of it and often for a long time after. Something like this affects those directly impacted and those of us on the periphery. I hope that it will make sense, some day, some how. I find myself not wanting to show up in this moment. I want to be in the past (why?) or in the future (what's next?).

Jesus says before he dies, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." (Lk 23:43) The commentary reminds me that this promise intimates that God's sovereign power is a present reality, not merely for the future.

When I cannot be present or "make sense" of it, perhaps all I can do is sit down and weep.

What keeps you from being present in the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment