Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Praise

July 23, 2009
I will bless God at all times, and praise shall ever by in my mouth. Ps 34:1

I'm learning a lot about spontaneous prayer. In my Episcopalian tradition, I lean on the pre-scripted phrases, pericopes, antiphons or choral refrains that I've memorized. Yet these seem not to reach the patients and families sometimes. In fact, no matter what I say, they chime on in even while I'm praying.

And I like that!

I'll be praying something and I'll hear in the background "Yes, Jesus" and then "Praise Jesus" and then "Oh yes, amen amen amen." At first it surprised me, but then I found that it gives rhythm to the prayer. Texture. Life.

And isn't that what prayer is all about?

How are you praising God at all times, even now in this moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment