Thursday, July 23, 2009

Peace Offering

July 21, 2009
Thus you shall salute him, "Peace be to you, and Peace be to your house and peace be all that you have!" - 1 Samuel 25:6

I often wish that I could remember this simple introduction. But it just doesn't sound the same in contemporary language. "Peace be to you," is just, well, not said anymore. Likely to conjure up the response, "y'all not from these parts, are you?"

I want to say that I think about it before I visit, that I silently consider it in my heart. Honestly,it's usually after a visit with a patient or family when I offer peace. Why don't I think of it *before* I go in? Perhaps it's my anxiety, perhaps my curiosity, perhaps my anticipation, perhaps... my humanness.

Even when I do offer peace in such a way, leaving the room, the look on folks' faces is still "y'all not from these parts, are you?" Perhaps I can simply wish it in my heart.

How do you offer peace in your life, right now?

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of thinking 'peace be to you' before I walk in a room. I'm stealing it! I'm remembering I need to have peace to offer it. If I have it I can offer it in a soothing touch or calm words. I'm getting it right now watching my boys sleep on the floor of our bedroom. Total peace!

    ReplyDelete