Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dust Shaking

July 20, 2009
So they shook the dust off their feet in protest against them, and went to Iconium. Acts 13:51

Several times during my visits in the hospital, patients or families refuse a chaplain visit. It's really not uncommon. I don't mind. They might rather sleep. They might rather finish their dinner. They might rather just keep trying to breathe, let alone talk. It's okay to say no, I say. I am one of the few service providers in a hospital to which the patient can say "No." As I leave, I wish them peace and go on my way.

I had several visits in a row in which the patient said "no." This week. After the fourth "no," I can tell you that I was amused. I thought, okay, bring it on! Then the fifth visit turned into an amazing discussion. Who knew?

Where are you allowing others to say no, in this moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment