Friday, July 3, 2009

Soul

July 2, 2009
But I still my soul and make it quiet, like a child upon its mother's breast; my soul is quieted within me. Ps 131:3

This verse reminds me about my own self-care. I am learning how I can be so busy that I disconnect from my soul. Particularly in these early days of learning about the systems, the people, the procedures and the schedule, I can become cognitive very quickly. This coping mechanism works pretty well for survival, but it does not a pastoral care giver make.

How can I re-connect to my soul, I wonder?

On Tuesday, I only had a few more paragraphs to finish before my next meeting appointment with the cafeteria...lunch time! I was very harried when I arrived at the lunch table. My colleagues were already deep into their meal, so I slipped into the chair saved for me. Unconsciously, I took a deep sigh as I placed my tray on the table and sat down. One of my colleagues remarked about my sigh, and I became aware of the weight of my breath as it fell onto my salad.

Actually, it was a good thing for her to make that remark. I realize now that my body really needed to get reconnected to my soul, and breathing is a way to do that. I hope to become more conscious of this each day.

How do you still your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment